Islington CCG and Islington Council, alongside partners from health, social care and the voluntary sector, are delivering an integrated care programme to bring health and social care services closer together.
Islington CCG and Islington Council were named by NHS England as an Integrated Care Pioneer in 2013. The award of pioneer status was recognition of our ambitious and innovative approaches to delivering person-centred, coordinated care and support in Islington.
For health, care and support to be ‘integrated’, it must be person-centred, coordinated, and tailored to the needs and preferences of the individual, their carer and family. It means moving away from episodic care to a more holistic approach to health, care and support needs, that puts the needs and experience of people at the centre of how services are organised and delivered.
Our vision is that only by ‘working together to deliver better care with the people of Islington’ can we successfully integrate care. A key way of achieving this is making changes to the way health and social care practitioners work in partnership and share information.
Working together is enabling us to:
- Improve the standard and quality of patient careby providing patients and service users with the right support, at the right time, from the right person
- Ensure health and care practitioners can swiftly and easily refer patients and service users between a range of different health and care organisations
- Put patients and service users at the centre of their care by enabling them to easily access the information they need about their care
The Integrated Care Programme
We are testing, developing and implementing a number of projects in partnership with clinicians, social care practitioners, service users and patients. We introduce new ways of working that work for them, dispensing with whatever doesn’t work.
These projects include:
- building Integrated Networks, integrated teams of health and social care professionals
- a comprehensive range of self-care support services
- improving information sharing between different agencies to enable more coordinated care
- a range of projects to improve care for patients with long-term conditions
- offering personal health budgets
Video of integrated care in action in Islington
Integrated Care Bulletin
Our bulletin is circulated every two months and provides an update on new events and developments in programme. Click here to read current and past editions.
The team frequently presents updates on the programme both locally and on a national basis, as part of Islington’s role as a pioneer.