Comments and Complaints

Telling us your views, whether it be a comment or a complaint, helps us to know what we are doing well, learn lessons from mistakes, and prevent them happening to anyone else.

How can I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint in writing, by email, over the telephone or in person. Your complaint should be made as soon as possible.  This should be within a year of the event. You can make a complaint on your own or on behalf of someone else if you have their permission.

Who should I contact with my complaint?

Doctor (GP), dentist, pharmacist or optometrist

Hospitals, Mental Health, Community and other services

  • All services providing NHS care have a way of receiving comments and complaints about their services. If you have a comment or complaint about a hospital, mental health, community or other NHS service, you need to raise this through that organisation’s comments and complaints system. If you want us to know about your comment or complaint, please send a copy of your letter or comments to us (contact details below). The responsibility for investigating any issue arising from a complaint remains with the organisation that provided the service to you.

NHS services commissioned for the people of Islington

  • If you have a complaint relating to the way an NHS service has been commissioned, or you have been directly affected by a commissioning decision made by us, please contact: 
  • In order for us to make improvements to the services you receive, anonymous information about your complaint may be shared as part of our reporting process. Should you have any concerns with this, please contact us on: 
  • Information on how to make a complaint can be made available in other languages, on audio cassette or CD, in large print, Braille and in illustrated format. Interpreters can also be arranged, including sign interpreters. Please contact us if you need this support: 

Can I get help and support with making my complaint?

Yes, an organisation called POhWER can provide you with support and advocacy. For more information please click here or contact:

What will happen once I make my complaint?

Complaints will be dealt with in a manner that is proportional to the issues raised. Your complaint will be investigated and the NHS organisation responsible will aim to resolve the concerns and, where needed, will take action to prevent the incident from happening again.

Will my complaint remain confidential?

Whilst your right to confidentiality will be respected, when investigating your complaint we may need to share information regarding your case with a third party within the NHS. We will require your consent in order to do this. It may, therefore, be useful when making your complaint to include your consent. There may be times when we need to share information without your consent for example, to protect children and vulnerable adults.

How do I give my consent to let NHS agencies share information about my complaint?

You can either write this in as part of your complaint, or use the sample text we provide.

How do I give consent to let NHS agencies share information about my complaint if I am complaining on behalf of someone else?

You can either write this in as part of your complaint, or use the sample text we provide.

What if I am still not satisfied?

If you are unhappy with the response to your complaint you should contact the service directly to see if they can look into the case further. You also have the right to take your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. There are time limits for taking a complaint to the Ombudsman, although the Ombudsman can waive them if it is perceived that there is good reason to do so. You can contact their helpline on 0345 015 4033 or

Further information is also available at You can write to the Ombudsman at: The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP.