Primary Care Strategy
Islington primary care services have achieved much over the last few years and in Islington we have developed a strategy that will build on these successes. It looks at making real improvements in:
- GP services – working with the primary care teams
- Dental services – general dental practitioners and community dentistry
- Community Pharmacy Services – local pharmacists
- Optometry Services – local opticians.
Islington's Primary Care Strategy focuses on driving up the quality of primary care to meet the health needs of the population.
The strategy is being implemented within the context of NHS improvements, the North Central London Primary Care Strategy and the Islington Care Closer to Home, Urgent Care, Patient Involvement and Palliative Care strategies.
There is a theme of working more closely together across the whole patient pathway. GP practices and other primary care services are working in a more in a federated, networked model of primary care, enabling all of the Islington population to have a similar range and quality of services. Primary and secondary care are working increasingly closer as the Islington Clinical Commissioning Group works with Whittington Health our local Integrated Care Organisation.
The main outcomes identified are to:
- Improve access to primary care services
- Health promotion and prevention of ill health
- Identify long term conditions earlier
- Develop pathways for patients to enable them to receive the right care at the right time in the right place
- Increase the number of people who are able to self-manage their health in relation to long term conditions and minor illnesses
- Improve the patient experience.