- In 2009 Angel Medical Services was commissioned to provide a walk-in centre service which was based at Ritchie Street Medical Centre in the south of Islington.
- The walk-in centre was open to all patients, whether or not they resided in Islington or were registered with an Islington GP.
- The service was staffed by a mix of GPs and nurses and was available seven days a week, Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays from 9am to 6pm.
- With the walk-in centre contract coming to an end, Islington Clinical Commissioning Group took the opportunity to review the way services were provided, and to determine whether funding could be used differently to better meet the needs of patients.
- As of 1st April 2020, the walk-in centre service based at Ritchie Street Medical Centre is closed.
- Further information on what this means for you and how to access health and care services is also available.
- An extensive programme of engagement was carried out to understand how the closure of the walk-in centre may affect residents and to inform the development of access to primary care.
- Taking place over a six-month period in 2018-19, Islington CCG engaged with GP practice Patient Participation Groups and commissioned Healthwatch Islington to undertake engagement (detailed below) with residents and patients.
Phase 1 - June-August 2018
- Islington Patient and Community Group meeting – an opportunity for residents to ask questions and comment on the planning and delivery of healthcare services
- Same day GP services patient questionnaire
- Visits to the Walk in Centre using face to face questionnaire
- GP survey
- Stakeholder mapping to identify any additional groups (this led to the setting up of a deaf focus group)
Phase 2 - October-January 2019
- Mystery shopper (testing the process of registering at 10 GP practices across the borough)
- Follow up GP practice healthcare staff survey
- Additional Walk In Centre residence for one week with structured questionnaires for unregistered and younger patients (as a result of previous engagement)
- Patients survey – versions 1 and 2 (those who have used the Walk In Centre and those who haven’t)
- Continuing visits to Practice Patient Participation Groups
- Focus group for deaf patients - 12th December 2018
Find out more in our summary of the feedback we heard from our engagement.