We are looking for Islington residents who are living with at least one long-term condition (such as diabetes and asthma), to help us to develop a self-management and care programme.
About the project
Islington CCG has commissioned Positively UK to help us better understand what the barriers are to accessing the self-care and self-management support currently available for people with long-term conditions, and work with Islington residents and patients to come up with solutions as to how we overcome these barriers.
We want to work with local people to co-design the project outcomes, before working together to test and explore different options. Through previously gathered insight these could include some of the following:
- A ‘drop in/drop out’ option, rather than six week courses some programmes offer.
- A more personalised approach/model (e.g. one-to-one and/or small group options).
- Flexibility over location, adopting the care closer to home ethos (e.g. sessions could be delivered in local GP practices and other places that people already trust).
- Peer support opportunities within and outside of programmes and activities.
- Additional support also provided for carers (family and friends).
- Different types of learning and support for different individuals and groups (e.g. we know that uptake of the current offer is low for younger people).
Based on what we learn from projects like this, the CCG’s aim is to widen our self-care offer in Islington and increase the number of patients who participate in these activities.
How to get involved
If you are an Islington resident with at least one long-term condition and you’d like to be involved in this project, please contact Beatrice Osoro at Positively UK, tel: 020 3943 9435, email: firstname.lastname@example.org